Thursday 19 July 2012

My vaginal expeditions

After the last post dedicated to my girlfriends, here's one for the boys too.

So whenever I tell people I'm rotating to gynaecology, there is bound to be one or two douchey remarks 'Oh dude, all those vaginas that you get to see and touch for free! Haha!', and these comments are always made by the male species.

It's okay, I understand your unfortunate circumstances whereby the only time you could imagine ever getting close to a lady's privates is if you were a doctor trying to get a Pap smear. In fact, a friend of mine speculated that 70% of the guys in our class probably had their first encounter with the vajayjay sometime in their clinical years, so you're not alone.

But I digress. The point I wanted to make was, there are always two sides (to the vagina...dear readers, meet left labia and right labia) to the story. Seriously, you think we've landed the dream job looking at this all day:

Oh hello, Miranda.

...when, more likely than ever, we're looking at this:


Before you click away in horror, ladies and gentlemen, allow me to explain to you the concept of pelvic organ prolapse. In simple terms, your eyes have just been forever scarred by the image of a uterus that has fallen out of the vagina. You see the red patch at the end of the bulge? That's the cervix. Prolapse happens when your muscles down there become lax, and fail to hold up whatever they're supposed to, which could be your uterus, bladder or intestines. It's one of those fascinatingly grotesque things that you try to divert your eyes away from, but can't stop staring at anyway.

Since I can neither stop you from naturally delivering multiple children nor slow down your ageing, my public health message of the day is: do Kegels. Studies argue about their efficacy, but it makes sense to exercise muscles that you want to keep toned. Try to visualise your perineum (the area between your crotch and butthole, in laymen terms), then pull it upwards in the direction of your belly button.

How funny, I just made all of you exercise your pelvic muscles. Such is the power of words.

1 comment:

Leave me a comment - each one gives me one less excuse to slack with the posting (: